Thursday, September 10, 2015

Neighbours Refuse to Help Igbo Family Escape Fire In Lagos Over Grudge.

The victims, who lived on 23, Michael Ogun Street, died because their co-tenants did not make effort to rescue them when they called out for help around 11.30pm on Tuesday, Punch reports.
Those killed were a textile material dealer, Kelechi Onoja, 28; his wife, Nkiru, 18; their one year and eight months old first child, Favour; their three weeks unnamed second baby boy; two yet-to-be-identified family members; and Nkiru's mother, 80.
The only survivor was Chidinma, 8, a relative, who suffered burns to her face and hands.
Our correspondent gathered that Nkiru had just given birth to her baby and her mother had visited for the Omugo rites, a popular Igbo culture of a mother nursing her daughter's baby.
She was said to be preparing to return on Wednesday with the two unnamed ladies she brought with her, when tragedy struck.
The landlord's grandson, Abdul Jelili, who lives opposite the apartment, narrated:
"I was sleeping when I heard a noise and quickly rushed out. I saw smoke coming out of their apartment and quickly got a stick, with which I broke their toilet window.
Smoke billowed out, but I did not hear any movement in the house and could not tell if anybody was in. All the tenants in the other apartments did not come out, so I had to rush out to call for help."
Ejike Okpara, another resident, explained that the neighbours did not help because there was animosity among the five tenants in the house.
He said Nkiru had been accused of not greeting the other tenants, among other issues, which had caused series of fight in the neighbourhood.
He said, "So, when the fire began, the neighbours from both sides did not come out. When they finally came out, it was to rescue their families."
But a tenant, Uzor Alajemba, said he had to first rescue his family when he heard someone raise the alarm.
It was learnt that youths and other members of the community eventually mobilised to the scene to combat the inferno.
A man, who claimed to be part of the rescue, Chima Dimkpa, explained that the burglary-proof bars made rescue difficult.
It was learnt that the grandma had used a candle light to bathe the baby in the night, and forgot to put it off.
Our correspondent was told that after burning out, the fire ignited the table and engulfed the room. The 80-year-old woman was burnt to death.
Kelechi, who had also woken up with other members of the family, reportedly called for help.
He was said to have held tightly to the two sisters, while his wife carried their boy in her hand. They were burnt to death together.
Dimkpa said, "We could have rescued them but for the bars. Everything was smoking hot and untouchable, including the wall."

Sent From AbleMoJah

No comments:
Write comments

Popular Posts


News (618) Technology (72) Entertainment (67) Jokes (36) Relationship (28) Lifestyle (26)